In this article:
- What is Outlook Calendar Sync?
- How does it work?
- What information is shared?
- Microsoft Azure configuration
- Activate configuration
- Expected behavior
What is Outlook Calendar Sync?
The Outlook Calendar Sync interactive feature is a two-way integration with calendars in Microsoft Azure.
- When a meeting room or amenity is booked in Activate, an event is created in the corresponding calendar in Outlook.
- When a meeting room or amenity is booked in Outlook, the time is blocked off as unavailable in the corresponding reservable amenity in Activate.
This prevents double booking the same amenity by synchronizing available times.
How does it work?
Activate integrates with Microsoft Azure, the cloud-based platform underlying Microsoft's suite of products including Outlook. It uses API's to exchange information between the two platforms when an event happens on either platform.
What information is shared?
When a new event is created, the following information is sent from the originating platform to the other:
- Title of the event
- Start Time
- End Time
- Email address of the member initiating the request
- Buffer times created in Activate (1-way)
- The integration first needs to be turned on in your channel by Activate.
- You will also need to obtain the Resource ID of the Outlook Calendar to synch with.
- This feature works in conjunction with the Reservable and Invite Guests feature.
Microsoft Azure configuration
To configure Microsoft Azure and obtain the Resource Id of associated Outlook calendars follow this guide.
Contact Activate to enable the integration in your channel, then:
- Create or edit a Post or Page,
- In the Editor step, click on the Interactive checkbox make the content item interactive,
- Go to the Features tab,
- Click on the checkbox next to Outlook Calendar Synch,
- Enter the Resource ID of the Outlook Calendar to synch with:
- Complete the content creation process using the Reservable feature to configure time slots and availability.
- Save and Publish.
Once configured, the following behavior will occur:
- Create a reservation in Activate: a new event should appear in the Outlook calendar matching the event details.
- Update or cancel the event from Activate: updates should be visible in Outlook calendar or the event disappears if cancelled.
- Create/update event in the Outlook calendar: the time slot in Activate should show as occupied/not reservable.
- Cancel or update an Activate created event in Outlook: Updates the corresponding event in Activate.
- Cancel an event in Outlook: the occupied date/time slot should go away on the reservable component.
If you have any questions or need additional help, contact VTS Activate Support at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to advise.
Article is closed for comments.