Mobile access is usually a seamless, quick experience, but we know things can get in the way. Here are some FAQs to help you deal with situations you and your members might face.
- What integrations are there?
- How do we implement an integration?
- Who do I contact for help?
- Why does Apple Wallet appear when I unlock an entry?
- Why does Activate need location services?
- Automatic unlock doesn't work—what can I do?
- Can I use mobile access without opening the app?
- Can you have two mobile access apps running at the same time?
- What if there's no network connection?
What integrations are there?
We currently integrate with:
More integrations are in the works.
How do we implement an integration?
Adding Mobile Access involves a lot of moving parts. A discovery phase is needed to review the building's current capabilities and limitations with respect to the hardware and the various teams involved. Our integration can only extend as far as our partner's SDK capabilities, which does vary.
We recommend a trial phase when first implementing to understand the unique quirks of a building—reach out to your partner at VTS for more information.
Who do I contact for help?
The first point of contact is the Help Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org) who can co-ordinate troubleshooting and actionable issues with the building team, the access partner, and VTS Activate.
Why does Apple Wallet appear when I unlock an entry?
If you have an iPhone with Apple Wallet, you’ll see Apple Wallet appear when you place your iPhone next to any NFC reader (including HID, Safetrust, Openpath readers). This is an iPhone feature and doesn't relate to the Activate app—unless you have our Apple Wallet experience.
Currently, there's no way to turn off NFC or disable Apple Wallet notifications on iPhones. For more information, contact Apple support.
Why does Activate need location services for mobile access?
Having location services set to Always on gives members the most consistent experience for background scanning mode—the more you use it, the better it gets. VTS doesn't share or sell your data, and we don't use location services for any other purpose.
Automatic unlock (background scanning) doesn't always work. What can I do?
For Background scanning to work and unlock doors, the app needs to stay active in the background. Even with location services turned on and set to Always, mobile devices might still close unused apps running in the background.
Here's a checklist of other common issues to try:
- Is Bluetooth on and the Activate app granted permission?
- Are Location Services on and the Activate app granted permission to Always Allow?
- Have other Mobile Credentials apps been removed?
- Have all other Bluetooth devices been disconnected?
- Is the mobile device running in power saving mode?
- Are physical Fobs or Access Cards interfering with reader communication with the phone?
- Can the credential be read by the reader in very close proximity (i.e. directly next to it) to the reader?
- Force close the Activate App and relaunch it—try to unlock entries again.
Can I use mobile access without opening the app?
Background scanning lets members unlock an entry without having the app open and running. Members need to select their door unlock preferences in the settings (e.g. set to unlock when the app is running in background or unlock automatically). Please note that in order to enable the optimal experience when app is unlocking the door in the background, members will need to set specific permissions (Location services set to always).
Can you have two mobile access apps running at the same time?
It's not a great idea. Only one app should be used at a time and only one app should hold the mobile credential. If someone has two apps that are both enabled for mobile access and they hold the phone close to a reader, the reader will try to communicate to both Mobile SDKs and it won’t detect which credential to use.
Why does my battery drain faster when I use mobile access?
Mobile Access depends on integrations with 3rd party partners. Those integrations require continuous access to location services in order to perform automatic unlocks while the app is in the background. This can require OS level battery optimizations to be turned off, which can cause other apps on the phone to drain battery on the phone as well.
Can I customize the email sent from the integration partner?
The building’s property team or admins need to login to the Admin Access Control Portal where they have the ability to customize the emails that are sent to users to register and set up mobile access on their mobile devices.
- HID: Admins can login to the HID Origo Portal.
- Safetrust: Admins can login to the Safetrust Credential Manager Platform.
- Openpath: Admins can login to the Openpath Access Control system OR the email will need to be triggered by Activate team as part of the integration and our team can help customize the content.
- Datawatch: Admins can login to the Datawatch DirectAccess manager.
What if there's no network connection—like in a parking garage?
Mobile access works best with a network connection—if you can't guarantee Wi-Fi or reception, you'll have to seek a different option.
I reinstalled the app. How can I request a mobile credential?
Your building's property team is responsible for creating user accounts and setting appropriate rights and permissions to access the building premises. If you have deleted and reinstalled the mobile app, the old credentials will no longer work due to security reasons. Contact your property team to be issued a new invitation with credentials.