In this article:
- What is Google Calendar Sync?
- How does it work?
- What information is shared?
- Google Calendar Configuration
- Activate configuration
- Expected behavior
What is Google Calendar Sync?
The Google Calendar Sync feature is a two-way integration between VTS Activate and Google calendars.
- When a meeting room or amenity is booked in Activate, an event is created in the corresponding calendar in Google.
- When a meeting room or amenity is booked in Google, the time is blocked off as unavailable in the corresponding reservable amenity in Activate.
This prevents double booking the same amenity by synchronizing available times.
How does it work?
VTS Activate integrates with Google and uses API's to exchange information between the two platforms when an event happens on either platform.
What information is shared?
When a new event is created, the following information is sent from the originating platform to the other:
- Title of the event
- Start Time
- End Time
- Email address of the member initiating the request
- The Google Calender Sync integration first needs to be turned on in your channel by VTS.
- You will also need to obtain the Google Calendar ID of the calendar to synch with.
- This feature works in conjunction with the Reservable and Invite Guests feature.
Google Calendar Configuration
To get the Google Calendar ID:
Go to Google Calendar,
Add the Calendar to your Calendar list.
Click on the 3 dots and select Settings:
In the Settings page, scroll down until you see Integrate Calendar and copy the Calendar ID:
VTS Activate configuration
First contact VTS Support to enable the integration in your channel, then:
- Create or edit a Post or Page,
- In the Editor step, enable on the Interactive checkbox make the content item interactive,
- Go to the Features tab,
- Select the checkbox next to Google Calendar Synch,
- Enter the Calendar ID of the Google calendar to synch with:
- Optional: enable the Hangouts Meet Link if you would like to include a link to Google Hangouts videoconferencing.
- Complete the content creation process using the Reservable feature to configure time slots and availability.
- Save and Publish.
Once configured, the following behavior will occur:
- Create a reservation in Activate: a new event should appear in the Outlook calendar matching the event details.
- Update or cancel the event from Activate: updates should be visible in Outlook calendar or the event disappears if cancelled.
- Create/update event in the Outlook calendar: the time slot in Activate should show as occupied/not reservable.
- Cancel or update an Activate created event in Outlook: Updates the corresponding event in Activate.
- Cancel an event in Outlook: the occupied date/time slot should go away on the reservable component.
If you have any questions or need additional help, contact VTS Activate Support at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to advise.